'Bout Native Code?

Ieuan

Newcomer
Never tried directx programming before!

From conversations, there is the native code and managed directx right?
Perhaps, i cannot comprehend the difference between the native code and managed directx? Please tell me the differences.... and when to use?

From the articles in MSDN before in Visual Studio 6, I discovered that we only can have the native code through Visual C++. And i wonder in .net framework, can we write the native code by the use of C# or vb.net?

Cause i admit that programming in visual c++ is a pain in the brain, even i do write c++ programs before.... Thanks anyway....

Managed DirectX is designed to be run by managed applications, i.e. applications that run on the .Net Framework: VB.Net, C#, J#, and Managed C++ applications. The native DirectX is intended to be run by other applications, which are compiled to native code, like C++ can be.

You can not compile to native code with a .Net language. I could be wrong, but I don't think that you can interop with native DirectX through a managed language. You wouldn't really want to anyways. Either stick with VB/C# and managed DirectX, or regular DirectX and C++.

What about games like warcraft III, battle Realms, even diablo or like games?
Does this kind of games use the managed directx or ...?

Anyways, thanks, I'm still not into this yet, thanks anyway for the advise...
I'm just seeking for references for me to start with...

As those games aren't written using managed code they will not be using managed DirectX.
If you are using unmanaged code then you would access directX through the non-managed interface. If you are using managed code then you would use the managed interface.

Thanks.... I hope that I could start with direct x programming the soonest... I'm looking forward for more advise and teaching from you...

Ieuan

Back