Blocking certain web requests

ombun2

Newcomer
Hi there, I host a site on which a lot of material is downloaded daily and I need to block download managers such as GetRight or Download Accelerator. I was just wondering if any of you have done something like this before, and knows how the best way to do it would be (either codewise: (positive) such as allowing only IE or Firefox, or (negative) stopping sessions with multiple threads, or some settings somewhere)

It relates to the server setting. If I remember correctly, servers like Apache/IIS provide an option that allows you to control the number of connections from a single IP.

michael_hk said:
It relates to the server setting. If I remember correctly, servers like Apache/IIS provide an option that allows you to control the number of connections from a single IP.

Oh I forgot, I'm using IIS, and as far as I know it doesn't have something like that (why not is my question), unless it's some hidden unknown setting, which wouldn't make sense since i think it's a pretty big deal...I wouldn't be surprised however if Apache does, but I really would rather not switch...I was just curious if there is a programming solution to it...some smart guys claim that it's impossible to block them if the guy using them knows what he's doing, and i kinda' believe that, but i want to stop most of them and then just deal with the others manually.

Back