Binding Categories of Items

Diesel

Contributor
I have a database of items and each item is associated with a category. Using a repeater, datalist or whatever I have to (right now Im using a repeater) I want to display each category and the items in that category, in the following format:

[Category Name]
[Item Name] [Desc]
[Item Name] [Desc]
[Item Name] [Desc]

[Category Name]
[Item Name] [Desc]
[Item Name] [Desc]

etc...

I've tried a few different ways of doing this..recently I implemented the ItemDataBound event and that worked fine, except I was using Response.Write to create the table and it would always write the table before the header of the web page (because Page_Load is executed before the html is written). Now Im just trying to do something within the ItemTemplate part of the repeater control. Here's some code...

Code:
<asp:Repeater id="Repeater1" runat="server">

<ItemTemplate>
<table width="100%"><tr>
<td bgcolor="#555555"><font color="white"><%# ((System.Data.DataRowView)(Container.DataItem))["Category"] %></font></td>
</tr></table>

<asp:Repeater ID="Repeater1Sub" Runat="server">
<ItemTemplate>
<table cellpadding="3" cellspacing="10" border="0" width="100%">
<tr><td>
<font size="2"><input type="radio" /><a href='ProductDetails.aspx?productID=<%# ((System.Data.DataRowView)(Container.DataItem))["ProductID"] %>'>
		<%# ((System.Data.DataRowView)(Container.DataItem))["Description"] %></a> 
</td></tr>
<tr><td>
		    [Add <%# ((System.Data.DataRowView)(Container.DataItem))["Price"] %> ]</font>
		</td></tr></table>
</ItemTemplate>
</asp:Repeater>

</ItemTemplate>
</asp:Repeater>

Im checking into the ItemCreated event, but if anyone has prior experience or any ideas, feel free to speak. If not, I might just create a custom control to do this.

Back