Best way to handle PocketPC/CE.Net applications

mjohnson3091

Freshman
I'm writing a program for Mobile devices (in c# and VS2003) which runs on a variety of operating systems (PocketPC / CE.NET / Windows Mobile 5) and have different screen sizes.

At the moment, I've only deployed on 2 devices (one CE.NET 4.2 with a screen of 800*600 and one PocketPC with a screen 200*320).

I'm using the screen size as a determinate between whether to display the forms for the 800*600 device or the 200*320, which works OK.

I've now got the problem that I need to deploy this application on to a CE.NET 4.2 device with a 320*200 screen and I get problems with screen layouts due to menu positioning etc.

Is there a simple way to determine the OS of the device then I can select the relevant forms or indeed a way of automatically changing the forms between CE and PocketPC friendly type (i.e. Menu positioning) so I don't need to design new forms for each device type.

Another point is that I have all the forms for the different devices in the same project, so when it is compiled, it has all the forms, which makes the footprint for the application quite large. What the standard practice for handling this? Can the project be split into seperate projects in one solution and share some of the common functionality files? I'll rty to explain below...

Current Layout
SolutionTest
|---Project
|---PocketPCForm1
|---PocketPCForm2
|---WinCEFormSmall1
|---WinCEFormSmall2
|---WinCEFormBig1
|---WinCEFormBig2
|---clsDatabaseAccess
|---clsRegistryAccess​

Thoughts as follows:
SolutionTest

|---ProjectPocketPC
|
|---Form1
| |---Form2​
|---ProjectWinCESmall
|
|---Form1
| |---Form2​
|---ProjectWinCEBig
|
|---Form1
| |---Form2​
|
|---clsDatabaseAccess *Classes Shared amoungst project
|---clsRegistryAccess *without duplicating them?

Hope that makes sense

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Back