Basic/Beginner Problem running ASP.NET Page

Shaitan00

Junior Contributor
I am having a strange problem running an ASP.NET page I created, specifically when I run the project (CTRL-F5) it opens an Internet Explorer window [version: 6.0.2800.1106] with all my information displayed as text (in black) starting in the top left corner. Note that I am running IIS (Win2k Pro) web server.

Let me illustrate my problem with a very basic example:
On my Blank WebForm1.aspx (design) I have a Red Label in the center of my screen with a blue (default) hyperlink below it, this is show in the following HTML:
<asp:Label id="lblWelcome" style="Z-INDEX: 101; LEFT: 391px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 301px" runat="server" Width="52px" Height="28px" ForeColor="#ff0000">Welcome</asp:Label>
<asp:HyperLink id="hyplEnter" style="Z-INDEX: 102; LEFT: 364px; POSITION: absolute; TOP: 357px" runat="server" Height="26px" Width="118px">Click Here to Enter</asp:HyperLink>

This results (when Starting without debugging) in the following: “Welcome Click Here to Enter” in my internet explorer window (in black as text), no matter how I try I can’t reposition it or change the colors (but I can change the body background) or click on the Hyperlink (or button if I added one), it all appears as normal non-formatted Text.

My WebForm1.aspx.cs is generic (not modified).

Even pasting the HTML in MS Word gave me the same result as show in from Internet Explorer, this is very strange. Am I forgetting something fundamental?

I must not forget to mention that I am unable to debug my project (F5), I get the following error message (not sure if it is relevant but incase): “Error while trying to run project: Unable to start debugging on the web server. The server does not support debugging of ASP.NET or ATL Server applications”. Went threw the usual steps to correct it and nothing worked but supposedly its really not that easy to get up and running (and not required yet).

Hopefully my explanation made sense.
Any help would be appreciated, would love to see my project in action

Does the server have the .Net framework installed?
If not install it, if it does then it probably needs re-registering with IIs. Go to a command propmt (best to use the one under the Visual Studio program group) and type aspnet_regiis /i

C:\>aspnet_regiis /i
'aspnet_regiis' is not recognized as an internal or external command,
operable program or batch file.

The server is Local (on my Machine), so I installed VS.NET then IIS (went to Microsoft www and went threw the steps to re-inistallize ASP.NET since IIS was installed after) and now I have this problem.

Strange this is I loaded a sample yesturday and I got the color of my label to appear, then I re-ran it and no more (only worked once) and the position didn't change.

Also I am currently logged in as a Customized user which is part of the following Groups: Administrator, Debugging User, and VS Developers

Nope, I used the regular command prompt [my bad].
Just did it properly and it worked like a charm, everything "seems" to be working perfectly now.

Many thanks!

Back