myApp/
loginAdmin.aspx
loginsuperAdmin.aspx
web.config
admin/
web.config
superadmin/
web.config

The «admin» directory is for the clients. The «superadmin» is for the administrators. myApp/loginAdmin.aspx allows clients to gain access to the «admin» directory. Here's my web.config in the «admin» directory:

<authorization>
<allow users="admin"/>
<deny users="*"/>
</authorization>

My problem is here: I want to create the same authorization for the superadmin directory. I can't just do:

<authorization>
<allow users="superadmin"/>
<deny users="*"/>
</authorization>

in the superadmin directory. Cause the myApp/web.config, in the root, will redirect the administrator to the CLIENT login page(myApp/loginAdmin.aspx). This configuratin is written in the myApp/web.config:

<authentication mode="Forms">
<forms loginUrl="loginAdmin.aspx" path="/" timeout="60"/>
<passport redirectUrl="admin/page1.aspx"/>
</authentication>

So: is there a way to configure something in order to redirect the clients to the correct login page, depends on witch directory they're browsing(admin/superadmin)? If I try to access the superadmin directory, I want to by redirect to myApp/loginSuperadmin.aspx. If I try to access the admin directory, I want to by redirect to myApp/loginadmin.aspx.

thank you,

forgive my english

:-\

You may find the location element useful.
It will allow you to specifiy security in your main web.config but on a page or sub folder basis.
eg
Code:
<configuration>
   <location path="admin">
      <system.web>
         <authorization>
            <allow users="admin"/>
            <deny users="*"/>
         </authorization>
      </system.web>
   </location>
   <location path="superadmin">
      <system.web>
         <authorization>
            <allow users="superadmin"/>
            <deny users="*"/>
         </authorization>
      </system.web>
   </location>
</configuration>

Interesting, but I does not solve the redirect problem.

What if a visitor tries to acces a file in the superadmin directory? I dont want him to be redirect to the myApp/loginAdmin.aspx file, but to the myApp/loginsuperAdmin.aspx file.

This redirection is usualy setup in the web.config, in the application. That's what I did in the root (myApp/web.config). But I can only specify one redirection, right? Either I redirect to loginAdmin.aspx, or to loginSupeadmin.aspx. I would like to setup both ways, depends on directory you're browsing in.

The only way I found was to overwrite the authentication in both admin and superadmin directories. But this cause another problem: in order to do that, I must create a new application in both admin and superadmin directory. These directory will then work on differents applications. Therefor, my whole structure would fall appart! The bin directory, etc.

Any idea?

Is there any reason why you couldn't have a single login page for all users / admins / superadmins? To give each category of user their own login page seems a strange way of approaching the problem.

Well, I want my clients to log on a different page. I dont want them to see the login form for the administrators. I dont even want to let them know that an administrator section actually exists. The administrators have to log on special login page, with a different design.

I'm new in asp.net. With Asp, I use to send my clients to the admin/login.asp page, and the administrator to the superadmin/login.asp page. I send my clients to: www.mysite.com/admin/, witch redirect to www.mysite.com/admin/login.asp. And I send the administrators to: www.mysite.com/superadmin/, witch redirects to www.mysite.com/superadmin/login.asp.

thanks

moreover, I need to redirect the user to a different directory after login!
If a client log on /loginAdmin.aspx, I need to redirect him to the admin/ directory. If an administrator log on /loginSuperadmin.aspx, I need to redirect to superadmin/.

<authentication mode="Forms">
<forms loginUrl="login.aspx" timeout="60"/>
<passport redirectUrl="admin/index.aspx"/>
</authentication>

How am I supposed to do that, since there is no way to setup multiple passport in the authentication? Even if I managed to send the visitor to the correct login page, I wouldn't know how to redirect them correctly after that. Everyone would end up to the admin/index.aspx page!!!

any idea??? :-\ :o

Back