ASP noob

EFileTahi-A

Contributor
Ok, I have never done serious WEB programing, meaning that, my skills with ASP or PHP are ZERO. So, since I will need to learn ASP in my new job in order to perform some modifications on the company's website (wich is made in ASP) I was counting with anyone here to point me to a good tutorial or at least describe me the basics of how ASP works / what is needed to make it work...

I am experienced with Databases (ODBC) with C#. So, I know the basics of Oriented Object programming and Database connections. The problem comes when HTML, JavaScript and ASP are all mixed together in order to produce a web-site.

I will now drop some basic question so, and forgive me if any of it might sound "strange" or even stupid:

- can .NET fully build ASP sites? Like Dreamweaver?

Thank you for any possible info (no matter how basic it might look for you as any info will be truly appreciated). Meanwhile I will continue my research over the web on the ASP subject...

Last edited:
I would not use PWS (Personal Web Server) for any serious work. Always use IIS when given a chance.

ASP, ASP.NET and PHP are all just different hammers to build a house. They all work just fine and have all been used to get the same thing done. If you are going to want to go on the Cheap go the PHP/Apache/MySQL route. They are not 'cheap' products, but the development tools using that route or cheaper. If you get a chance to ASP.NET and more specifically Visual Studio I'd also recommend that. I am having a blast using it - and I like working in PHP also.

patrick24601 said:
I would not use PWS (Personal Web Server) for any serious work. Always use IIS when given a chance.

ASP, ASP.NET and PHP are all just different hammers to build a house. They all work just fine and have all been used to get the same thing done. If you are going to want to go on the Cheap go the PHP/Apache/MySQL route. They are not 'cheap' products, but the development tools using that route or cheaper. If you get a chance to ASP.NET and more specifically Visual Studio I'd also recommend that. I am having a blast using it - and I like working in PHP also.

Ok, truly precious info here. So, you're saying (apart from many other things) that Visual Studio .NET can develop sites like dreamweaver? Sorry for this stupid question but, I just want to clear all my doubts from my head...

IIS and Visual Studio .NET are the necessary tools in order to create ASP sites? (I have both)

Thank you once more for this high quality post of yours :)

Last edited:
patrick24601 said:

Here I learned that ASP and ASP.NET are different. How diferent these two?

You can use any text editor to create ASP and ASP.NET sites. Notepad, Wordpad, Visual Studio, Dreamweaver. For anything related to .NET I'd us VS.NET. It is very .NET aware and will make your life easier

DIfferences between ASP and ASP.NET:
This is no short list. ASP stands for Application Server Page (I beleive). It is the framework for server side programming for the web. ASP itself is a set of objects and tools that needs to be manipulated by a language. That is why in ASP and in ASP.NET you have to use VB or C to manage the ASP objects.

The whole .NET framework is a new server side environment for running a web based application on. It is a huge change from ASP, but I highly recommend it if at all possible. I am having fun doing VB.NET (ASP.NET with Visual Basic) and Visual Studio 2003. The .NET Framework is current at version 1.1 with 2.0 in beta and on the way soon. Visual Studio 2005 is also slated for GA release soon. Both .NET 2.0 and VS 2005 can be downloaded and played with now.

ASP.NET is basically the next version of ASP.

Personally I'd use asp.net and IIS, but I know how to use these tools, so I'm biased.

ASP.NET is very nice to code with, I really like it....

Back