ASP.Net vs PHP speed test

Status
Not open for further replies.

Evil_homer

Newcomer
Hi,

I developing a new project and need to prove to my manager ASP.Net is faster than PHP, else i'll be forced to use that. Any ideas on what would be a good test to use? The project is a database frontend using MS SQL Server and will be fairly query heavy.

Thanks in advance :)

Is it depend on your manager background and interest.

For technical people, you can create a screen to insert Ten Thousand records for example, and retrieve Ten Thousand records, to see it's speed. (simple)

For business man, maybe you can design a long page, and see how fast for that page to load... something like this

Also some other factors could heavily influence apparent performance under .Net (e.g. use of the Cache object, Page / fragment caching) which may or may not be doable under PHP (never used PHP myself)

according to my openion it depends on project scenario and coding. ASP.NET is a robust techonology through which we can use the .NET Framework. well PHP is also a very good techonolgy. both contains the same situation about the coding and methods being called with in applications the remaining thing is Server where it is hosted

Evil_homer said:
Hi,

I developing a new project and need to prove to my manager ASP.Net is faster than PHP, else i'll be forced to use that. Any ideas on what would be a good test to use? The project is a database frontend using MS SQL Server and will be fairly query heavy.

Thanks in advance :)

If you're using MS SQL then use a language that was built to actually use it, .NET. PHP was built to use MySQL.

The only true way to test is to fill a table with 1 million records and do speed tests for retrieving and updating the table with both technologies. If numbers come out similar then ask yourself; which program would be easier to update in the future if built correctly using OOP techniques and save the company time and money? The answer to that is simple, .NET.

I just curious why PHP or ASP.NET? why not JSP/Servlet or ASP.NET? since both PHP and JSP/Servlet are free, but from what I understand, Java is better than PHP, right? and Java is OO Language

Java has no place in web scripting unless you're doing something that requires dynamics without actually reloading the page.

What is that mean? no place in web scripting? your mean the viewstate in ASP.NET? I did some JSP/Servlets and PHPs last time, both of them also quite similar to ASP, but JSP/Servlet will be better compare with PHP

Thanks for all the replies, I know what you mean wyrd using .net with mssql makes much more sense to me than using php.

Just have to try and convince my manger of that now....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back