ASP.Net Sans Web Server?

mark007

Centurion
Just wondering if it's possible to use Visual Studio.Net to create ASP.Net web applications without having your own web server installed. For example if you run WinXP Home and have a Windows hosting account somewhere on the internet how can you create a web app and build it ready to be simply uploaded to the Windows web hosting account via FTP?

MS VS.Net seems to require that you have a web server running to create an ASP.Net project. Any ideas??

As a small second question could someone confirm that Visual Basic.Net standard includes everything you would need to build ASP.Net apps and that purchasing VS.Net professional doesn't really add anything unless you want to use multiple languages?

Thanks!
:)

If you want to run it locally, then yes, you need a web server. I think this chanages in the new asp.net. You can install the personal edition of the web server on your XP Home from your cd.

If you want to run it locally, then yes, you need a web server

If i want to run what locally? Clearly I want to run Visual Studio locally but I don't care about testing the files locally - happy to test them by uploading to my web hosting account...

You can install the personal edition of the web server on your XP Home from your cd.

Personal edition?? I didn't know there any editions for XP home at all - do you have more info on this. Searchin the web the other week I could only find details of getting a hacked version to run on XP Home.

:)

Sorry, to clarify, to even create a web project locally, you need a web server isntalled. In your windows cd, there is an option Internet Information Services that you can install, its a personal edition, stripped down, but it will let you create the project locally.

Huh, interesting - I'll have to look for that. How do I add it? It doesn't appear to be on the list of possible components to add to windows in the control panel...

So in summary it's improssible to use the ASP.Net features in visual studio without having a copy of Windows XP Pro! Grrr...

Back