ASP.NET process won't die

VBAHole22

Contributor
I have a web service that I am trying to test out and the code tends to crash quite a bit for reasons out of my control. When it does I just down the page and halt the process in visual studio (I am running it via F5).

The code itself does some work and spits out some text to a log file.

After I kill the page and the visual studio run this log file still gets written to and I can still see an asp_wp.exe in the process list. If I end this process another will spawn, if I kill this process another will spawn, if I kill this.....well you get the idea.

What is going on? Also at one point it was writing to this text file so much that it grew and grew to over 40MB and I had to reboot to keep the file from taking my computer over.

Anyone seen this before?

That's good (and bad) to know.

In one app I am testing it crashes a lot so I have to kill the process quite a bit through task mangler. The task respawns but I think it kills the running code.

In another web service app I am afraid that a crash will bring the whole service down but now I think that it will not.

I've experienced the same thing before. Is there any way to stop the process from restarting automatically? Why is this the default behavior of the process? (I'm sure there's a good reason I just don't know about.) :)

In my own experience. This was only happening to me when i was spawning web services and trying to kill them. What I have found is that if you are debugging and you kill the code, then when you try to write more code you may find the IDE hanging a bit, at which time I usually check out the processes and see that aspnet_wp is occupying quite a bit of resources, usually up around 90. If I kill this first one then others spawn but they always rest at 0 or very near. These secondary ones don't cause me any slowdown in VS so I let em be. There are times however where my web service will be writing to a log file and i can see that it is still going strong even after the first kill, but that first one does usually stop it.

Back