ASP.NET pages in VS.NET 2003

HardCode

Freshman
If I create a Web Application, I have Design and HTML buttons at the bottom of the .ASPX page. This allows me to drag-n-drop controls onto the page like a Windows Form.

However, if I open only a single .ASPX page in VS.NET, then the Design mode is not available. Is there a way to make it available? I checked all the View ---> windows but I don't see anything for this.

No, I just opened a stand-alone .ASPX page (that I had created in a text editor) with VS.NET 2003, and there is no "design mode." For a Web Application solution I created, the .ASPX pages have a design mode (see image.) The design mode only seems available when an .ASPX page is within the context of a .SLN.

The first image is when main.aspx is opened as a part of a .sln project. The second image is when I open only main.aspx alone in VS.NET.

Attachments

I have never thought of this as a bug; I often open an aspx file within an unrelated project - only to view the code. I really wouldn't appreciate it if it started to attribute it to the project.

Anyway, currently you do need to open it in the context of a web project, no solution needed.

It's not a bug, but a missing feature. I wouldn't use it per se, since I use Notepad or a slightly more endowed equivalent for my ASP.NET coding tasks, but I can see why others would certainly want the feature present.

Back