ASP.NET concepts

fixitchris

Newcomer
I am brand new to ASP.net and I have a few concerns. I want to migrate an estimating system to ASP but I need to maintain global collections for Customers and Vendors.
Is the web application theory the same as a windows application only with extensibility via asp?
Is the web application always running on IIS keeping collections in memory so that I can access them without having to fill datasets each time?
Also how do I pass datasets and collections between ASP pages?

thanks

Are you migrating to ASP or ASP.Net? Web applications do run under IIS but they are very different in terms of client interaction when compared to a more typical windows application.
If you have a search under the Code Library there is a sample posted by Robby which covers several different ways of passing information between pages.

ASP.Net do have the concept of application level variables which are shared between all connections.
Not too sure what you mean by
have clients access them?
Web applications are fundamentally different to windows applications though and even though you can store information in this manner you need to consider performance / memory / concurrency issues as well.

Back