asp.NET 1.1 vs asp.NET 2.0

neuropathie

Newcomer
Hello all,

Im trying to migrate my web project from ASP to ASP.NET, but I really want to know which will be more efficient 1.1 or 2.0, this is a big web project, and i have to convince my managers that asp.NET 2.0 is better than 1.1, but how?

I wonder if u have samples or links related to this and also related to project management in this kind of projects

Well, it's a newer version -- so it must be better right? ;)

Even if you do not plan to utilize any of the new features in .NET 2.0, such as generics, it is still well worth the upgrade. My reason for saying this is that Visual Studio 2005 is far more robust than 2003. The debugging capabilities are vastly improved and there numerous other enhancements. Bascially, it allows you to be more productive.

Now, if you want to leverage some of the new functionality in .NET 2.0 you are going to see additional gains. There are also many improvements in ASP.NET so, to me, it really is a no brainer. Some that come to mind are improved asynchronous page handling features and better user control support.

I should also mention that you will only need to convert your .csproj file for your web application. Then, as long as you do not utilize any features that are completely new in .NET 2.0, you can always convert back. Also, you do not necessarily need to do a complete upgrade. IIS will allow you to run multiple versions of .NET side-by-side.

Masterpages, Navigation API, profiles, web parts, XHTML compliance, better support for non-MS browsers, improved security model for starters.

Add to that a much more organised infrastructure with large parts of it implemented as a provider based system giving far more flexability.

Back