ASP 2.0 in same app with 1.1?

Denaes

Senior Contributor
I'm working for a new company, the application is mostly 1.1, with ASP pages and compiled com objects.

My first job is to get rid of all the ASP & COM objects by bringing them up to ASP.Net. We all want to use 2005, but we don't have the time to convert the entire application (it's pretty large with hundreds of pages).

Would it be possible for me to upgrade the asp/com to 2.0 while the rest of the app is 1.1? Then convert sections, to 2.0 one at a time?

I know it's possible to have them as seperate pages on the same server, but we need them to share cookies and whatnot as part of the same application login. So you might login to a 2.0 page, then navigate to a 1.1 page, then a 2.0 page, etc.

Doing this, if it's not too Hacky, would save us from having to upgrade to 1.1 then do 2.0 in an entire fell swoop.

I think the best way to find out, would be to make two pages, .NET 1.1, and .NET 2.0. Have each page set a cookie, and then display it from both pages.

For this.. the bottomline will be to start from scratch.

But if you want it to "temporarily" function at the same time, asp, aspx1.1 and aspx2.0 pages, it will greatly depend on how they treat their cookies, querystrings, classes..

I'm not sure if it's just cookies... maybe sessions or something else I'm not aware of. I've heard that as a concern. Maybe if I found a site or document that compared using both versions in the same webapp.

Personally I have a lot to update from ASP as part of my learning of the app and it seems silly to upgrade it to 1.1 if we do want 2.0. Especially because I've been learning 2.0 and I really like it.

While the theory goes that the company will pay us to upgrade to 2.0 someday, we have a lot of custom projects from paying customers within the same app so if it's possible, it's most likely going to happen a few pages at a time as needed, which is why I was checking.

I found a msdn 1.x -> 2.0 conversion guide and it doesn't even address what I'm asking, just talking about doing the whole site in one fell swoop.

Back