Apply opacity only to a control?

kasdoffe

Regular
I have made a program to keep track of my 'To Do' list here at work. These things 'to do' are listed in a listview with columns such as name, due date, due time, etc. Some of these things 'To Do' have certain requirements associated with them before I can say I have completed them. I'd like to display a progress bar for each task showing the progress of the task based on how many of the requirements are done.

So, I had this cool idea. Instead of using some extended list view to display a column entirely made up of progressbars, I thought it would be neat to have a progressbar with 50% opacity spanning the entire row across all columns. The task data in each column would still show but behind it is this progressbar.

Is is possible to apply opacity on a single control? If so, how? If not, any other ideas to get what I want to happen?

Lookup the ControlStyles Enumeration in the help. Particularly the SupportsTransparentBackColor value. I've never actually used this myself, mind you.

jmcilhinney said:
Lookup the ControlStyles Enumeration in the help. Particularly the SupportsTransparentBackColor value. I've never actually used this myself, mind you.

that's not what I'm looking for. When you apply opacity to a form, the entire form (backcolors, forecolors, controls, etc) fade in and out. If I add support for transparent backcolor to a control, such as a listview or progressbar, only the backcolor is transparent. The actual control doesn't act like opacity on a form.

kasdoffe said:
that's not what I'm looking for. When you apply opacity to a form, the entire form (backcolors, forecolors, controls, etc) fade in and out. If I add support for transparent backcolor to a control, such as a listview or progressbar, only the backcolor is transparent. The actual control doesn't act like opacity on a form.

Here's a screenshot of what I'm looking for. This isn't an implemented solution, it's a hack so you can see what I want to happen.

Attachments

Why do you need a seperate progress control? Using gdi, just draw the progress bar on the listview itself.

Back