App Deployment still using source directory

inzo21

Regular
Hi there.

Thank god for beer!

The current predicament of the week is as follows:

I have two assemblies in a single solution, A and B. Assembly A is an application that installs a context menu into the file system (like that Winzip Icon when you right click on a file). When a user clicks on one of the options to that function, such as "Add this file!", a new object of assembly is instantiated and the method AddFile(filename) is called - then the object is disposed.

The AddFile method simply appends the name of the working file to a text file in the same directory as the calling assembly. If the file does not exist, it creates it. Here is the code I used to get the executing assembly:

Private myassembly As System.Reflection.Assembly = Reflection.Assembly.GetExecutingAssembly()
Private tempfile As FileInfo = New FileInfo(myassembly.Location)
Private m_filelist As String = tempfile.DirectoryName & "\FileList.txt"

This works great when I compile and run it in V Studio . NEt. The context menu works and the text file gets created when not present. However...when I create an installation package and deploy the app, I'm not getting the anticipated result. Everything installs and all .dll's are copied to the program directory. The menu works fine - the only issue I have is that it is writing back to the directory where I compiled the original code for the context menu (assembly A) - as opposed to the application directory.

Does anyone have an idea of why this would happen? When I isolate the Assembly B and call AddFile from a command line app, it works fine when deployed. The issue seems to be in the method I am calling or instantiating an object of class B from Assembly A.

this kept me up many nights so any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance,

inzo

Back