Any way to shortend Dotnetfx.exe 20.9MB?

• Thread starter Thread starter MCPBob
  • Start date Start date
M

MCPBob

i mean if i use only some namespaces, is there any way to deploy only a portion of Dotnetfx? Because Any1 must admit that 21mb's redistributable is too much for web deployment. In my country most of Internet users still use 56k connections so they will have to download the app toooo long, so most of them will just quit. Any suggestion pls?

I forgot this, What if the client doesnt have IE 5.01 on the system, is that mean that he cant install Dotnetfx.exe (as Microsoft says) or there is some trick? I mean if I have to deploy IE 5.01 with my app it's reaaaaly silly.

No, there is no way to shrink the size of the .NET Framework Redistributable, and yes, you need Internet Explorer 5.01 installed.

The .NET Framework Redistributable is being released at the Windows Update site and with up-and-coming versions of Windows. Until .NET Server and Longhorn are released (2003, 2005 respectively) .NET really won't proliferate all that well.

Dotnetfx.exe won't complain if you don't have IE 5.01 installed. I know this, because I did it and then wondered why my app was generating funny exceptions everywhere.

Well, that's the thing. You're much better off installing the additional 10MB's of IE while you're at it. Heck... what's that tacked onto the base 20MB plus your application anyway? I use dial-up (connected at 21Kbps), and once I see that a file is larger than 500KB I know I'm going to have to wait.

Agreed. I'll only worry when my app takes more space than a cd has to offer. My clients don't care as long as they receive a quality program.

Back