Another attempt to explain my dilemma (VB)

hazejean

Regular
Another attempt to explain my dilemma

I have a problem where mutiple execs create text. in a richtext box. I need to merge the text from the different executables for out put.
I want to be able to merge the text and return it to the first executable. Then I want the user to be able to review the text and edit the text if required . Then the user will hit a submit button to write the text to a file. I assumed there was a way to have a common data area shared by all the execs to do this?

Someone said in VB6,0 it could be accomplished by session variables?? Is there equivalent in .net?

Open to any suggestions.
thanks much.

If you start one executable from your program then at the startup you can pass in a command line, but other than that I dont think you can do it.

Could you explain more what you mean about the various executables? If you want a common data area, and you just need to store text, the simplest way would probably be to create an array of global strings/stringbuilders. Each executable creates its text, stores it in the appropriate string/stringbuilder, then when all the executables have run, the texts can be manipulated however you want, edited, etc. and written to a file. Am I understanding the problem correctly?

I think you understand the issue. I don't know how to make the text variable common to all executables. Is it passed in the command line?
think of it as a series of questions with answers provided in different Executables. the first one might generate the following text: "The student is female," the next "age 19,", the next "an Engllish Major". the next "graduating in 2004"
After all executables are complete the completed text sting is: "The student is female, age 19, an English Major, graduating in 2004" this is a simplified example...but hopefully explains the problem.

thanks

well, you have a couple options. (i'm assuming each of these executables is run from within the main program with the rich text box). first, just make a global variable. nice and easy, not overly structured though, so you may have difficulty seeing where each string came from. second, create a global hashtable. the executables can store its name and the output value in the table as they complete. last, you could always create a separate class to keep track of everything, and make the instance of the class global, but that seems like a lot of extra work to me.

Back