Am I out of luck?

Xee

Newcomer
For my Advanced Systems Analysis class, we're supposed to design and create a system based on requirements given out by my professor. One of the many options on how to develop the system was to create Windows executable program using any language we want. When I heard this, I immediately decided to use VB.NET and Access.

After emailing him a few questions later though, I'm not so sure. He said on the computer he'll be testing our finished systems on, he's running Windows NT 4.0 SP6 with Internet Explorer 5.0. Knowing that the .NET framework requires Windows NT 4.0 SP6a and at least Internet Explorer 5.01, I emailed him back and asked him if I could include the 6a service pack, IE 6.0, and the 1.1 .NET Framework along with my final system on a CD. Here was his response:

My desktop is locked down, such that I can not do any install that requires administrator privilege. I'm not sure if that affects what you're planning. If it does, you must find a work-around, e.g., not install anything on my c: drive. I'll announce this in class also.
So, I just want to know, does this pretty much discard VB as an option for designing this system?

The way I see it, it discards many options (programming languages), what if you created a control or DLL in C or VB6, he can't/won't install it. ?? He's not giving you much as an alternative.
Does he have the VB6 Run-times? (If that's the route you want to go.)

If you really want to impress him and you have an Internet Server, create an ASP.NET application.

Robby said:
The way I see it, it discards many options . . .

This is exactly what is said on the PDF he sent us:

As indicated in the course syllabus, you must develop the system in one of the following ways:

A Microsoft Windows executable program. You can use any programming language you want.
A Java program.
A Microsoft Access database program
A Microsoft Excel spreadsheet
A Lotus 1-2-3 spreadsheet.
A StarOffice 5.2 spreadsheet

Robby said:
If you really want to impress him and you have an Internet Server, create an ASP.NET application.

I'm pretty new to VB as it is; I wouldn't know where to start with ASP. I think I'll just go ahead and do something in Access. It'll be boring as hell to make but that's pretty much all that's left. Ah well, back to the DFD's . . . *shudder*

Back