Alternatives to Windows Services

squirrel

Newcomer
I have an application which I want to run as a process that doesn't require any user interaction. Currently I have it set up as a Windows service, but I was wondering if there were any alternatives to this.

The service supports a change request system and once every 15 minutes will check the status of the database for any recently completed reviews. If all the reviews are in, the service will progress the change request to the next stage and handle any e-mails that need to be sent to the next set of reviewers.

The infrastructure we use here makes the installation of services on the production server very long winded so is there any alternative to a service? I don't want to have to rely on someone starting the service every morning.

TIA

I would have thought a service was a good solution for this, was there a specific problem you were having?

I think my biggest problem is the time it takes to get a newer version of the service installed on the production server. I can move an exe on the same day, but for a windows service, it has to be installed by a third party company (long story) and can take anywhere up to three weeks.

Is there any way I could trigger a standard exe to run from an update in the database (ie get SQL Server to initiate the application).

I am not necessarily intending to do this, it's more that my boss has asked me to look into alternatives and I just want to know that I have explored all avenues.

Thanks

Back