Ahh!! Upgrading VB6 project to VB.NET 2003 project! Help!

whosyodaddy

Regular
Ok, when I want to convert this Visual Basic 6 project to Visual Basic.NET 2003 project, I convert it, select the file, then when its converting i get this error:

"Upgrade Failed: Exception occured: The reference component CommonDialog is missing a design time license"

Please help me. I need this file to be converted to .Net. I searched everywhere for the answer but no luck. I spent at least 30 minutes on microsofts website viewing their articles. Would I have to reinstall VB? Thanks.

You need the VB6 controls installed (pretty much means VB6 installed). The upgrade wizard is pretty much useless though - search this forum for phrases like 'menace' and you will see what I mean ;)

How big is your project? Converting to .NET means a almost complete rewrite. I converted a relatively small application with 3 forms and about 8 classes, and it was much more work than it was worth (helped me to learn VB.NET though which was the goal. I'd recommend converting your project, then starting a new VB.NET project, and copying only the 'best' bits (which you'll have to use your better judgement about, but its fairly obvious!).

I had the same experience as the other people in this post. Allowed myself a couple of weeks to upgrad a large project from VB6 to .Net. That was back in August, and am still going. It takes a total rewrite as far as I can see.

so, you guys, what should I do? I don't have visual basic 6 installed, and i don't own it. i need to convert it to .net though. the size of the project? as in space, the vbp is 2kb. all of the files needed combined are 96kb. It contains stuff like ListBox, Main Menu, and code and not that much else. How can I get teh Visual Basic 6 controlls? thanks

whosyodaddy said:
so, you guys, what should I do? I don't have visual basic 6 installed, and i don't own it. i need to convert it to .net though. the size of the project? as in space, the vbp is 2kb. all of the files needed combined are 96kb. It contains stuff like ListBox, Main Menu, and code and not that much else. How can I get teh Visual Basic 6 controlls? thanks

If you like Email me the project and I'll see if it converts for me. There may be some weirdness because you're trying to convert to .NET without the VB6 references or something (?). Just email me the file and I'll convert it.

I just looked at a project that is a simliar size to 96K, it could be quite a big project...

samsmithnz said:
If you like Email me the project and I'll see if it converts for me. There may be some weirdness because you're trying to convert to .NET without the VB6 references or something (?). Just email me the file and I'll convert it.

I just looked at a project that is a simliar size to 96K, it could be quite a big project...

Cool, you'd do that for me? Thanks! :D

Back