After Deleting File, Installer Is Invoked Upon Program Launch

microcephalic

Newcomer
I've witten a program in VB .Net. The installer copies a file called "dfile.png" to the application's folder during installation. The program then deletes "dfile.png" after the first time it is run.

The problem is that after it's deleted, on any subsequent launch of the program, the installer is invoked and the "dfile.png" is re-copied to the application's folder. I don't want it to be re-copied. I just want to delete it after the first time the program is run and not come back. Is there some type of setting or something within my setup program that would fix this? Or is there any other way around this? :o

In the setup project check the properties for the file in question and see if the Vital property is true - if so try setting it to false and see if that makes a difference.

Solution

Although I'm sure my solution is some kind of work around instead of the true solution, which PlausiblyDamp has probably already found, I traced this problem to an advertising shortcut, which checks to see if the installation is intact before running the program. This is set by default and I could not figure out how to change it without using Orca to edit the package after building it. I am sure PlausiblyDamp's suggestion to change the Vital attribute is more efficient if it does what you need it to. My previous post which resolved the advertising shortcut was: 76225

Thanks, martialarts! I will definitely give your solution a shot. I tried changing the vital setting to false, but to no avail. So, hopefully this will work!

Back