Adding MSDE in Setup

yeah you can but....

yes you can but it is a long process

you first need to add the msm modules. I have a list for you if you need

then you also need to get a copy of ORCA to hand edit the MSI file that is output by Visual Studios.

on top of that you need to include a script inside the setup to name the instance of the SQL server the MSDE installs and then you need to change the password on it.

if you (or anyone else) is still interested, let me know and I will list everything here, but it is a bit of work.

Nader Hamzei

Re: yeah you can but....

I have been trying to deploy MSDE for via a VB.NET application but haven't had any luck. Given that I read this message I am wondering if you'd be willing to take me step-by-step on developing a deployment tool for MSDE. Fingers crossed...

Mike

LordNader said:
yes you can but it is a long process

you first need to add the msm modules. I have a list for you if you need

then you also need to get a copy of ORCA to hand edit the MSI file that is output by Visual Studios.

on top of that you need to include a script inside the setup to name the instance of the SQL server the MSDE installs and then you need to change the password on it.

if you (or anyone else) is still interested, let me know and I will list everything here, but it is a bit of work.

Nader Hamzei
Fingers crossed!!!

Orca and scripts...

I think I have the .msm thing down, but is there a reference anywhere that I could consult about how to include the script to configure the database in the setup? or is that just shelling out to some osql after it is all installed? Also - do you have any hints on how to use Orca or could you point me to a reference on what all those values even mean? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

- Erik

LordNader,

I am very interested in how to make the MSDE deployment work and would greatly appriciate your solution.

MANY THANKS,

Mike

LordNader

I'm new to this scenario (MSDE in VB.Net application setup).
I hv actually started a project that needs that. Given that I
read this message, I am hoping if u can help me out in doing the above stepbystep.
Thank u in advance.

Hey Folks, sorry it took so long for me to sign back on

if you need help with MSDE, go to gotdotnet.com and search the sample database for "Embedding MSDE SQL" and you should get a document I wrote that details everything out.

Let me know if you guys still need help.

Nader Hamzei

Back