active x control displayed on asp.net page?

joeybagadonutz

Regular
I have seen interfaces on the web before, where a windows looking form loads in like an active x control or a java applet.

If I have a windows based data entry form, is there a way to make this into some sort of control that can be displayed on a web page?

How do I go about doing this or where do I start?

Even if it isnt that fast loading, it would be very nice to have the ability to do this. I have seen this before but Im not quite sure if they used java applets or some other form. Any information on this subject is greatly appreciated. thanks very much.

-JBD

I thought Terminal Services, PC Anywhere are just the tools to remote control PC? Is it related to 'active x control displayed on asp.net page'?

Active X control or Java Applet is client controls, because it is independent which not running in web server but browser. So it is nothing to do with server site language like ASP.NET, php or others...

Condition to run Active X required client using "Internet Explorer". And Java Applet can run on both IE or Netscape.

To start it, first you need Visual Basic to write your ActiveX control or Java to write your Java Applet, deployment is quite easy, you can simply got it from Internet or books.

I think that's what Joey was asking... "If I have a windows based data entry form, is there a way to make this into some sort of control that can be displayed on a web page?"

I assume that he wants to control it remotely.

No, I mean to have an applet form instead of an asp.net or html type form. I have seen them before, like a window will pop up, and a data form that uses java will appear and you can update data with no postbacks etc, it works like a windows form but appears in a web browser....you know, like a java applet : ) I thought that you used to be able to like embed active x controls into web pages no? I am just wondering if there is a way to make one of those with vs.net?

thanks.

Last edited:
As what I said, there is nothing to do with ASP.NET, you can use Java Applet as long as there is web page (html, asp, aspx, jsp...), or ActiveX as long as user using Internet Explorer browser.

Use HTML "<OBJECT>" tag to embed it

Okay cool, so my question now is, how do I make the active x object?

Can I make one from a vs.net windows form project? One that I can embedd into a web page?

Thanks.

an active X control is simply an OCX that's registered on the server on which your web page resides.

The easiest way to create one is to the MFC Active X control wizard in VC++ .Net (or VC++ 6.0).

But you want this to be a dialog? This requires a little tweaking...

read this, it starts off assuming you've just created a blank project like the one i suggested above.
http://www.codeguru.com/activex/dialogctrl.shtml

from here you can add controls to your dialog like a windows form.

Once this is working, you need to create a seperate client application containing the control.

Lemme know if you need any help.

Oh, one last thing, ActiveX controls are good, powerful etc, but the restriction lies in the access (or lack of) that the client instance of the web browser allows. Active X controls can contain viruses, etc, and so security is tight... something else to play with and consider in all this, it may mean something like a pop up box appearing to say that the user is about to run your control.

Dan.

Last edited:
I will rather suggest you use VB6 to create your ActiveX rather than VS.NET. Because the client required .NET Framework installed in his PC before he can use your ActiveX

Because the client required .NET Framework installed in his PC before he can use your ActiveX

No they don't. An active X control never uses the .Net IL, and so even if create with VS.Net, the control is compiled to machine code. It's the same as creating an MFC app in VS.Net, no .Net framework required. :)

Are you sure? Are you using "Window Control Library" in VS.NET? Because we did test it before, if you are sure, maybe I need to test it again...

Do you mean "Hosting a Windows Forms control" is not ActiveX? so my question is, can VS.NET create a ActiveX control? what project type should I use?

a Windows Form control is a .Net DLL (i think it's a DLL file?) that contains a .Net control.

an Active X control is an OLE based, front end enabled (ie. message pump is included) COM object that is compiled to machine code.

VS.Net can create an active X control, but it's the same way in which VS 6 creates a control. It's only through native (unmanaged) VC++ though, VB.Net cannot create unmanaged code. It's the MFC Active X module from the C++ templates.

.Net's move forward is to really put Active X behind them, it's not really going to be supported much in the future apparently.

VB Runtime

Hello, I readed the entire Post, and I need to create an ActiveX control, I don't know VC++ I just programmed with VB, so, can I create a VB 6.0 ActiveX control but my question is, if I created with VB6 my client will need to have the VBRuntime DLL to use my ActiveX control on Internet Explorer ?

Thanks

MIKE

Back