Accessing from internet...

lidds

Junior Contributor
I am currently writing a vb.net application (call it appMain) using sql 2000, the front end app and the database will be loaded on a client machine. What I would like to do is have another app (call it appRemote) that could be loaded on another computer in a different country (no link between this machine and the machine that holds the DB). What I would like to be able to do is allow appRemote to connect to the DB and retreive data (only require read access). The problem is that I don't know the best way to do this, over the internet I guess ??? But then what about security??

Could someone please let me know the best way to acheive this, and maybe a link to a good source of information.

Thanks

Simon

im not an expert at this, but i would use a web service. your client machine, which has to have IIS or some server running, could have a web service on it. the web service would have methods for returning the relivant data, and all connections to databases goes on in the background. because web services only pass strings (XML) across the web id say it would be pretty safe, but im sure there are other things you can do to increase the safety. a quick search on google will educate you on web services. they can be a huge topic, but it shouldnt be too difficult to do what you want to do here. best of luck

Back