Accessing database of another computer using VB window App - possible?

remondo

Newcomer
Hi everybody,
Is it possible to write a windows application that has internet connectivity and able to access a remote database?

I want to avoid using a web application because the postbacks are making the program very slow. I'm not an expert in Javascript eiher so i'm thinking of a windows application.

What do you think?

Sure it is...
all you need is the right connectionstring.
by the way... you don't use javascript to access databases... you use server side code... asp.net is a good server side technology... in asp.net you can write in VB.net and C#

greets

Depends on the database, network configuration and how you intend to access the database itself.

If you intend to access the database directly you would probably need to set various ports on the firewall to forward to the server in question, the exact ports required will be dependant on the DB in question.

Do be aware though that doing this could be a massive security risk as you are now potentially opening your DB to anyone on the internet, this is probably best described as 'a bad thing'.

You might want to investigate web services as a possible solution - these would allow yuo provide a programmatic interface that can be called via HTTP without opening up the DB itself.

Back