2005 Question

There are none!

I also wondered about this, and after some investigation have decided that whenever you're running from the IDE, the output is in debug mode, and whenever you Build the project, the output is in release mode. If you want the Build output to contain debugging symbols, you can set this in the Build tab of project settings. To be honest, I believe this makes sense, since there is little point running a release build (with no debugging symbols) in the IDE.

If there still is such a thing as differing Debug/Release configurations, then it sure is well hidden, or I am going crazy.

:-\

On VS2005 Professional's default tab strip (with the open, save, cut, etc), there is a green arrow for run and a dropdown next to it where I set Debug/Release and another dropdown next to it which is where I define the CPU for the build.

Right clicking on the solution name in the Solution Explorer and choosing properties brings up a dialog called "Solution <solution name> Property Pages". I click on Configuration Properties and I get a list of every project in my Solution and I can select where each builds to Debug or Release.

If I right click on a Project Name in the Solution Explorer and choose Properties and select compile, I can set up various options for each of the compile modes.

I hope this helps you guys out

Sorry...spoke to soon, when I go to the run button (i.e. green button), there is no combo to select the run method (i.e. "Release", "Debug", etc.) and no option to add that to the standard bar.

But I believe Mr. Paul is right...each time I set a break point, it stops...which is what I care about. That actually was one of my issues with 2003...I had to remember to set to release to build an installer...so, I to think this is a good thing :)

Thanks for the responses guys!

Eric

huh, I wonder what version of 2005 you're using.

On mine (VS 2005 Professional using VB.net) I have those options on the Standard Toolbar and I can Customize them off/on. Solution Configurations is the name of the dropdown to choose how to build and Solution Platform is the machine to target.

Well if you can get what you need done, then thats good. I just find it odd that you guys are missing these features.

If you are using VS Express, right click the menu and select "Customize". In the commands tab, under the "Build" category, scroll all the way down. There you will find the "Solution Configurations" toolbar item, which you can add to the toolbar.

I use VS2005 Professional both at home and work, and since you mentioned this I have picked VS apart to try and find these options. I have come to the conclusion that they no longer exist. It is possible to add the Solution Configuration dropdown options to the toolbar, but they are permanently grayed, no matter what kind of project I have open. I've reinstalled VS, still no dice.

It is not something that bothers me at all, but this is interesting.

:confused:

It works just fine for me in C# Express and VB Express. It is kinda something that needs to be there. It wouldn't be reasonable to go into the build settings and change everything around when you are ready to build a release version.

Try this, if it works...
1. In VS go to "Tools->Import and Export Settings..."
2. Select "Reset all settings"
3. Choose to save your settings first or just overwrite them
4. Choose the best settings for you. I chose "Visual C# Development Settings"

See if that helps. On some machines here at my work, people got the wrong settings and some menu items weren't showing up (Debug->Exceptions for example) and other VS behavior was different.

If that doesn't work, here are a few other questions:
1. Do you have a menu for "Build->Configuration Manager"? Does it have a drop-down for Debug, Release, etc?
2. Can you get to Project Properties, the Build tab? If so, does it have a "Configuration" drop-down for Debug, Release, etc?

You can also try this:
1. Right click on your toolbar, in a blank space and select "Customize...".
2. On the "Commands" tab, select Build on the left and "Solution Configurations" on the right. Drag "Solution Configurations" up to the toolbar.
This should give you the Debug, Release dropdown.

-ner

By default, express editions dont have the options to build in debug or release.

Tool -> Options then make sure Show all settings is ticked at the bottom. Then go to the Projects and Solutions treenode and there is an option Show advanced build configuations. Turn that on and OK the options dialog. Now you have the drop down box enabled with the build mode next to the Run arrow.

Back